Sunday, February 17, 2008

"Aria" by Richard Rodriguez

Premise:
-language barriers
-cultural intrusions
-private language vs. public language
-shame
-sacrifice
recognition
-assimilation and response of
-weakening of family bonds through assimilation
-private individuality vs. public individuality
-trust of authority figures

Author's Argument:
Rodriguez argues that cultural assimilation leads to a decrease in a minority's private individuality while allowing for a growth of public individuality and identity. He believes that the language spoken in the homes of many minorities is not merely a form of communication but is more a representation of their identity and cultural pride.

Evidence:
-Rodriguez notes, "they [his parents] agreed to give up the language (the sounds) that had revealed and accentuated our family's closeness
- he is noting how the language is the glue that holds the family together and without it,the family's cultural center is debilitated.
-Rodriquez states, "as we children learned more and more English, we shared fewer and fewer words with our parents."
-"By contrast, my father seemed reconciled to the new quiet. Though his English improved somewhat, he retired into silence."
-He was ashamed at his lack of skill when it came to speaking the English language. Consquently, he became rather introverted and soon he whole demeanor was completely altered.

Questions/ comments/ points to share:

- After reading the article, I was left with the question of whether or not he was appreciative of the assimilation that was imposed on him and his family.

3 comments:

Cousin Tom said...

I'm glad you appreciated my little rant, lol as for rodriguez, I was left with the same question. The best i could come up with was that a balance must be struck between the private and public identities. Still the question remains "What would Rodriguez say?" hopefully this can be answered in class, perhaps after a closer examination of the text, i could figure it out... but i probably won't, haha

See you tomorrow,
Tom

Cousin Tom said...

You play piano?! I absolutely love piano, I've been playing (attempting to learn how to play) for about a year now, but I'm still not very good. How long have you been playing? What kinda music do you like to play? pop? classical? etc

Cousin Tom said...

I played flute for 3 years starting 4th grade, took a year off, played drums for 2 years, I've been playing guitar for 5 years now and teach guitar lessons for one of my jobs. Guitar would be my main instrument if RIC had a jazz guitar major, but they only offer classical guitar, and that's a whole different beast. I've been singing seriously for 2 years, (I don't count high school chorus, they didn't teach me anything) haha! Can you play Beethoven's moonlight sonata? Its my absolute favorite piano piece ever. Soooo good :) I'm trying to learn it right now, but I'm not good enough yet. It was strange in class today, I couldn't find anything to say. Wonder why? But piano, since you were eight, I wish my parents made me play when I was eight. Oh well, just gotta do more practicing now. If you don't already know, Journey and Styx have some pretty rocking piano parts. "Don't stop believing" is such an epic song. Know any Billy Joel? that guy is amazing. I really do believe that Piano is the ultimate instrument of all time, second maybe to vocal harmony, but that's all. Do you have a favorite composer or pianist?